Are you visiting Germany? Or do you not fancy cooking this Christmas?
For Germans, Christmas Eve is a time to get together with family and enjoy a festive meal together. Father Christmas (or in some families, Christkind – a female ‘Father Christmas’) will arrive in the evening to surprise the children with presents. Many shops, cafés, restaurants close on Christmas Eve at about 2pm or some at 4pm so the staff can get ready for their celebrations. Christmas Day is then another important day to get together with the extended family, which is why most places are closed. So, if you’d like to go out for a meal on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, it would be helpful to know the restaurants that’ll be open for business. Those that are open will often have a special Christmas menu.
Here’s a list of some places in Frankfurt am Main that should be open. Have a look and if you like the venue, call them straight away to book a table to avoid any disappointment.
- Zur Golden Kron, Alt Eschersheim 58, 60433 Frankfurt, Phone:+49 69 26941174, www.goldenkron.de: Authentic, creative cuisine by the chef and owner Michael Schmidt.
- Tigerpalast, Heiligkreuzgasse 16-20, 60313 Frankfurt, Phone: +49 69 9200220, www.tigerpalast.de: This place offers a cabaret show with a festive menu at Christmas (24. – 30.12.17) and New Year’s Eve.
- Atschel, Wallstr. 7, 60594 Frankfurt, Phone: +49 69 619201, www.atschel-frankfurt.de: A typical Hessian place serving regional specialities in a rustic cosy atmosphere. You can eat Schnitzel here as well as delicious fish and venison dishes. Reservations are only taken by phone.
- San San, Konrad-Adenauer Str. 7, 60313 Frankfurt, Phone: +49 69 91399050, www.sansan-restaurant.de: This is a stylish, modern restaurant serving fine Chinese cuisine.
- Megaron, Spohrstr. 26, 60318 Frankfurt, Phone: +49 69 556335, www.megaron-frankfurt.de: Greek cuisine served in a stylish interior.
- Ginkgo, Berger Straße 81, 60316 Frankfurt, Phone: +49 69 491202, www.ginkgo-frankfurt.de: This place serves international, creative food in a trendy atmosphere. It might be closed on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day but is open on Boxing Day.
- Urban Kitchen, Börsenstr. 14, 60313 Frankfurt, Phone:+49 69 92884804, www.myurbankitchen.de: This place is a club, café and restaurant and it should be open on Boxing Day.
If you’re interested in the Christmas markets in and around Frankfurt, you might like to read this guest blog by Jérôme.
I thank you for your likes, comments, shares and for following me in 2017 and I wish you all a very merry Christmas and a peaceful, healthy and happy New Year! See you in the New Year with more blogs about Germany 🙂